Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Crack is NOT Whack!



A few months ago I discovered CRACK.  It's hot, cool, and completely addictive. I got it bad, man.
It starts with just a taste and the cravings grow.  You think "How would this be on ice cream?" "Could I eat this for breakfast if I scattered granola on it?"
It was Smitten Kitchen that first tempted me - jerks! (I love them.)  I had gone my whole life without really being addicted to anything.  Sure, ice cream got the better of me sometimes.  Chocolate had my number and wasn't afraid to call late at night but this was different.  It was slightly sophisticated, seducing with its caramel notes and its crispy saltyiness.  The way the chocolate glistens as it melts over the molten, golden caramel...my goodness.  I was making some this morning before 7:00am - don't judge me!  I wasn't going to eat it! (All) I have company and I thought they would enjoy it.  But then I had an idea - what if there were marshmallows involved?? EVIL GENIUS!
So here you go - S'more Crack!  Get it S'more...
Yup I'm a Crack S'more.
adapted from smittenkitchen

S'More Crack!
32 (about 100 grams) saltine-style crackers
1/2 cup (115 grams) unsalted butter, cut into a few large pieces
1/2 cup (95 grams) packed light or dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups (8 ounces) dark chocolate (semi- or bittersweet) chips or the equivalent amount of chopped chocolate
1 cup marshmallows cut into fourths

Sprinkle of course sea salt
 

Heat your oven: To 350°F (175°C).
Prepare pans: Line the bottom and sides of 1 9×13-inch baking sheet or 2 8×8-inch cake pans with foil, then lightly coat foil with nonstick spray. Arrange crackers in a single layer so that they fit in the bottom of your pan. In a perfect world, you wouldn’t have to cut any to make them fit flat. In ours, I used a serrated knife to cut several to fit neatly. Having no crackers overlap will make it easier to spread the caramel in a few minutes.
Make toffee: In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and brown sugar together. Stir until it begins to boil, then whisk (which will help the butter and sugar come together) for 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. I only add salt at this point if using unsalted crackers, i.e. not saltines. Pour over cracker-lined pan(s) and use an offset spatula to evenly spread the caramel, working quickly as it will be eager to cool and set.
Bake: In heated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, checking in at 10 minutes to make sure the corners aren’t darkening too quickly. Remove from oven and scatter chocolate chips over caramel crackers. Wait 5 minutes for them to soften, then use a spatula to spread the chocolate into an even layer. Sprinkle with nuts and a couple pinches of sea salt.
Chill crackers: Transfer pan(s) to freezer until absolutely cold and solid, about 15 to 30 minutes. Using the foil to lift toffee sheet, carefully transfer the candy to a cutting board and remove the foil.  Break or cut into pieces.  I prefer it cold.  :)






No comments:

Post a Comment