Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Heartburn Peach Pie





Nora Ephron gets me.  I loved her sensibility.  I loved her humor.  I loved her ability to make me feel like she knew me through her books and movies.  I am sorry that she no longer with us.

Obviously, we all know When Harry Met Sally and Julie and Julia, as well as countless others, but one of my favorite movies she wrote (which is based on an autobiographical book) is Heartburn.  It stars Meryl Streep (seriously, if you are going to put a painful part of your life on screen you really want to be played by Meryl Streep) and Jack Nicholson.  Fun Fact: her ex-husband actually tried to sue her for her less than flattering portrayal of himself and his mistress. Sore loser I say!

It is a story about divorce and self reflection but it has so much humor.  The book is very good  - quick read, good summer book. 

I was in a book club a few years back and we read Heartburn.  There are several recipes in the book but you never imagine that recipes in a novel would work, let alone be delicious, right?  Anyway, I made the Peach Pie recipe for the book club meeting and have never used another peach pie recipe since.  I am not a huge cooked fruit fan but I do like this peach pie.  The recipe has egg yolks and sour cream in it and I thought that was really strange in a fruit pie but as it turns out, it makes this delicious, kind of custardy (but not) texture all around the peaches.  Are you asking yourself "She said peach pie but clearly I see blueberries in the pictures...?" Well, let me explain.  I bought slightly under ripe, big, juicy, organic peaches with the express purpose of making this pie but giving myself a few days to get the deed done.  I took the peaches out of the paper bag on my counter last night and much to my dismay one was a green, moldly shell of a peach, thus the blueberries.  Blueberries and peaches are really good friends so maybe it was fortuitous.

This pie is especially good with Brown Sugar Ice Cream ala mode.  It is a super easy recipe and is a great make ahead, summer dessert that doesn't even require rolling out the crust!

Nora, wherever you are, you brought alot of joy and understanding to many people's lives, my own included.  "I'll have what she's having." Thanks.

Ingredients                 

                                        

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425.
  2. Put 1 1/4 cups flour, salt, butter and 2 tablespoons sour cream in bowl of food processor and blend until they form a ball. Pat into a buttered pie tin and bake 10 minutes.
  3. Lower oven temp to 350.
  4. In medium sized bowl, beat egg yolks slightly then combine with the sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and 1/3 cup sour cream.
  5. Arrange the sliced peeled, sliced peaches into the baked pie crust. Pour egg yolk mixture over peaches. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 35 minutes.
  6. Remove foil from pie and bake 10 minutes more, or until filling is set.


No comments:

Post a Comment