Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Pots du Creme


Sometimes life calls for you to be fancy.  This is not one of those times.  In my life, fancy needs to be achieved inside of 30 minutes or I call it "rustic."  I found this recipe a few months ago and it reminded me of a chocolate mousse I used to get in my hometown.  It was the mousse all others have since been judged. Pots du Creme is a little denser in consistency (the way I prefer it) whereas mousse incorporates more air typically. If your spoon can't stand straight up in the cup it isn't serious.  This recipe is serious and so easy you will have time to do something pampering.  (Dessert and pampering - yes please!)  Also, this recipe has eggs but no dairy so by my calculations you can reduce the guilt by 35%.  Did I mention it has no added sugar?  Reduce guilt another 25%!

I made this for a friend of mine who is a pastry chef and she assumed (rightly so) that I had been slaving over the stove all day.  Best dessert EVER! This pots du creme literally take minutes.  MINUTES! The flavor is intense and rich but still has a lightness and creaminess to it. The recipe calls for cardamom but it is June and 80 degrees in Seattle (which is like 110 degrees in Dallas) so I am going to use mint instead.  The cardamom is awesome though so make sure you make this more than once please. Simple - you prep all the ingredients and then throw them all into the blender!  GENIUS!
If the need to be fancy is just too overwhelming, I would add a little lemon scented whipped cream.  Be fancy for your fine self :) 




adapted fromThe Blenderist.

BLENDER POTS DU CREME
PREP TIME
TOTAL TIME
Serves: 4 servings
INGREDIENTS
  • 8 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
  • 3 eggs (room temperature)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp of peppermint extract (try to use the best stuff you can - the less expensive stuff is pretty astringent)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 5 oz hot coffee or espresso

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Combine the chocolate chips, eggs, vanilla and ground cardamom in the blender on medium-high speed until fully combined.
  2. While the blender is still running, remove the funnel cap from the top and pour the hot coffee in to the mixture slowly. The coffee must be very hot for the mixture to set.
  3. Mix for approximately 1 minute until smooth.
  4. Divide the mixture in to 4 small cups or ramekins.
  5. Cool in the fridge until set, approximately 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment