Monday, February 1, 2016

The BEST Chocolate Cake!




This was the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten!  I have made many chocolate cakes.  I have made this exact chocolate cake recipe a million times but for some reason this particular cake at this particular time made me believe that fairies exist and that one day I will have my own narwhal.

I made this cake to celebrate my mother's birthday. (Do you think birthday cakes always taste better?)  She recently fell, downhill skiing (at 78), and I went back east to help her out. Luckily, I was there around her birthday and it was an excellent excuse to make her favorite cake - Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting.  Oh man, I forgot how good that can be,  This is the same recipe I have posted a few times.  The Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe.  It is found on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa box.  It is almost infallible.  



The description of "moist crumb" does not do it this cake justice.  It is rich in chocolate-y flavor, not too sweet, is better the next day, AND makes equally great cupcakes.  You don't need a mixer - just a bowl and a spoon or spatula. Where the recipe says to add vegetable oil, I use olive oil.  The olive oil brings out a fruitiness in the chocolate that is unmistakable. (And well worth it!)

I struggled with what icing to make.  I usually would make a traditional buttercream and add cocoa powder but for this occasion I decided on the other recipe on the back of the cocoa box. Perfectly Chocolate Frosting. I had not made that recipe in a long time.  I was curious how it would come out given that the butter is melted.  

Turns out, it is out of this world!

The cake came out tall and even - which NEVER happens for me!  I had more than enough frosting to be generous frosting the cake. I used 2- 8" cake pans which helped the cake to be a little taller and also allowed me to get a few cupcakes out of the deal - nothing like a little pre-taste of the birthday cake. YAY!

Needless to say the cake was a big hit!  My mom and I had a piece the next day with coffee for breakfast.  A birthday tradition in my mom's house. 


New Tovolo Flex Core Spoonula - THE Go-To Tool of 2016!






even the cupcakes look happy!


Cake recipe:


Frosting recipe:

  • Hershey" PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
  • 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
  • Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.


No comments:

Post a Comment