Thursday, November 5, 2015

Molasses + Ginger = Earthy Happiness



My go to cookies tend to be chocolate chip or peanut butter but whenever I bake or eat a well made Ginger cookie I wonder why I don't make these all the time!  They are so earthy and comforting.  Ginger cookies are easy to make and I almost always have everything I need already in my pantry.

While making these cookies, my whole house smelled like being home at Christmas.  LOVE!

This particular recipe results in slightly cakey cookie - soft in the middle and a really nice texture around the edge.  I went crazy with my fine self and instead of rolling them in white sugar, I rolled them in cinnamon sugar!  What?  She cray cray! (Note to self - please edit out that last part.) 

Truthfully, I didn't taste the difference but I would do it again anyway. :)  These are just the right about of molasses, which I can eat by the spoonful, to make the flavor rich but not too sweet.  The chopped crystallized ginger elevates the taste and offers you a chewy, little surprise every few bites.



It is always nice to have a Spatulart buddy helping with the heavy lifting. :)


Love the Tovolo Stainless Steel Measuring Cups!

The recipe is a Food 52 recipe.  

Makes 24


  • 2 1/4cups all-purpose flour
  • 2teaspoons baking soda
  • 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2teaspoon salt
  • 1/4teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3/4cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1large egg
  • 1/2cup unsulfured molasses
  • 1/4cup finely diced candied ginger (optional) *Trader Joe's sells really nice candied ginger
  • Cinnamon sugar for rolling
  1. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice, salt and cloves in a bowl and mix well.
  2. Beat butter and sugar together in bowl of electric mixer until light and fluffy, 3 minutes.
  3. Add egg and molasses. Mix to combine well. Stir in dry ingredients. Stir in candied ginger if using. Refrigerate batter 1 hour.
  4. Preheat oven to 375 F. Roll dough into 1 1/2" balls. Roll balls in granulated sugar. Arrange on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and gently flatten. Bake in oven until set and crinkled on top, about 12 minutes. Remove and cool.




2 comments: